Has anyone on the aolserver core team taken a look at libcurl?
http://curl.haxx.se

They claim to be thread safe...

There is a TCL wrapper at
http://personal1.iddeo.es/andresgarci/tclcurl/english/

Doubtless this is old news to many, but it seems like it has so much to
offer :)

<jab> The TCL native and Aolserver HTTP implementations just seem
to be far behind what this has and all my PHP buddies get to use it as a
builtin :-) </jab>

Alfred