On Thursday 29 May 2003 10:06, Tom Brown wrote:
> The offending line from the server configuration file was originally
> "ns_param datasource  HOSTNAME:PORT:database_name". It didn't work either.
> Was the syntax wrong? Or the variables not defined? How do you know to use
> port 5432?

The PORT in the datasource parameter is the port number postmaster is
listening to.  In the default case that's 5432.

The variables weren't defined, since you could have a large web site pulling
data from multiple database servers, on multiple postmasters (ports), and
multiple database names.

That _used_ to be in the documentation -- but it's been a long time since I've
looked (a long time in this instance means five years or more, since I last
needed that information in 1997 for AOLserver 2.2.1).

I can, however, put that information (along with much needed general updates)
in the README file in the nspostgres distribution.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

To Remove yourself from this list: http://www.aolserver.com/listserv.html