I'm not sure its explained by just by virtue of the jvm running. I have
an out-of-the-box 4.0.3 running nsjk2 v1.3 with Tomcat 4.1.27 and am
able to successfully exec both commands below (I ran them from the
control port) When I get a chance I will try and run a test with 4.0.1
and see if it behaves differently.

-Elizabeth