On 2004.07.21, Rob Crittenden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Many relatively old (but not ancient) Linux distributions ship with
> autoconf 2.13 such as RedHat 7.2, 7,3 and AS 2.1. Upgrading isn't
> particularly painful but many only like using "official" rpms and AFAIK
> RedHat does not provide them.

    http://www.redhat.com/swr/noarch/autoconf-2.57-3.noarch.html

Since autotools are mostly Perl scripts (which means you *should* be
able to install the latest autotools RPMs on even older RedHat systems),
the biggest dependency for using newer autotools is to have the required
version of Perl installed, and I'm sure RedHat makes available for even
older distributions:

    http://www.redhat.com/swr/i386/perl-5.8.0-88.i386.html

> What is the advantage of upgrade?

Considering Autoconf 2.58 was released back in November 2003, I'm
assuming it's stable by now.  The advantage of upgrade at this point
is to keep our build infrastructure fairly current.

I'm also hoping to clean up the build infrastructure for Win32, and am
hoping to leverage the autotools suite for this.  Apparently there's
a tool called "am2msdev" which can convert Automake .am files to MSVC++
project files.  That might let us continue supporting Win32 builds
without having to duplicate maintaining the autotools environment AND
the MSVC++ project files separately.  Another option is a wrapper script
called "cccl" which translates gcc command line args to MSVC++ cl.exe
args -- with that, we could build on Win32 using the existing autotools
under Cygwin (so that we have gmake, etc.), which would be another good
solution.

So, I see two immediate advantages: keeping our build infrastructure
relatively current, and making Win32 builds easier.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]