On 2005.02.10, Zoran Vasiljevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 23:49, Dossy Shiobara wrote:
>
> > If you don't believe that I truly feel this way, then put me to the
> > test.  Start making changes.  Start committing code.
>
> I DID.  See ChangeLog: [...]
> This is your answer:

I wrote this to the list on Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:24:01 -0400:

    TclX keyed list changes in HEAD
    http://listserv.aol.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0406&L=aolserver&P=15467

    | Zoran implemented some recent changes to TclX keyed lists in CVS
    | HEAD which changed the C API, which broke at least some code at
    | AOL which was still using the old C API.
    |
    | Rather than a wholesale back-out of the changes, I'd like to
    | discuss two things:
    |
    | 1) Should changes that break backwards compatibility be allowed
    | between minor revisions (i.e., 4.0 -> 4.1) or should they be
    | limited to major releases only (i.e., 4.x -> 5.x).
    |
    | 2) Can we quickly implement some backwards compatibility for the
    | TclX keyed list C API so that existing C code won't need to be
    | modified/updated to use Zoran's new C API? What's the best way to
    | do this? Can it be done through #define's? Or thin wrapper C procs
    | that call the new C procs? Or, can we simply rename Zoran's new C
    | procs to the old names to preserve compatibility?

At one point, Zoran replied:

    http://listserv.aol.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0406&L=aolserver&P=16550

    | A wholesale back-out of the changes seems like a very desperate
    | step, hm?  Since the CVS head is the development branch, changes
    | to it should be allowed. Or not? Besides, head should not be used
    | for any productive environment, AFAIK. If the checkin policy on
    | head should be that rigorous, then we'll advance very, very
    | slowly, which is bad, isn't it?

In my original message, I clearly said "rather than" -- which meant, I
wanted to avoid a wholesale back-out of the changes, so I presented two
options that I thought we could consider.  We quickly discussed #2, you
went ahead and added the necessary C API for backwards compatibility,
and the issue was quickly resolved.  This worked out exactly the way I
hoped these kinds of issues can be resolved.

I think my approach then was exactly what I reiterated recently in the
very message you replied to:

    http://listserv.aol.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0502&L=aolserver&P=18838

So, what's the problem?  I think my behavior has been consistent with my
messaging.  Am I deluding myself?  I'd like to think that I'm not, but
it's hard to judge your own self-image from inside your own head ...

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]