Am 25.05.2005 um 15:39 schrieb Robert Seeger:

To add my two cents... My thought is to "avoid namespace variables". I
understand the point that cleaning up after namespace variables
would be
expensive. However, anything that prevents commands in namespaces from
working correctly should be classified as a bug and fixed. Namespaces
are an important way to organize code modules.

My 2 cents...

Actually, you would like to redesign the way AOLserver treats Tcl code.
It has to be sort of module-based, where all modules would have a
startup,
teardown and cleanup hooks which would then be called by the server
machinery at particular points.
Now, this is also not something ideal, but would be at least
controllable.

The current way of wholesale loading Tcl code and synthetizing the
introspective script is clumsy, error prone and semi-optimal.

The option of walking the namespace tree and matching all variables
found there, but not found (or even changed) in the blueprint script
is out of the question because it would be plain too slow. Hence it
was never actually implemented by anybody. I recall trying to do this
myself but abandoned the project at a very early stage.

Another idea was to create a fast interp-dup Tcl call which would
quickly junk and re-create Tcl interp as_a_whole, but this is/was
not MT-aware and hence of little use for AS (or any Tcl-threaded) app.

So, this leaves you/us with what we have now. It aint ideal but it works
for most of the folks. Admitently, the *entire* beast would need a
facelift.

Zoran