Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble getting nsfreetds running, and I'm hoping that
someone can spot what I'm doing wrong.  I noticed that several people on
the list have gotten it working at various times, so I assume it's just me.

I'm using nsfreetds 0.4 with FreeTDS 0.6.1.2 (newer versions of FreeTDS
won't compile on this server) and AOLserver 4.0.10
running on Mandrake 10.0.  I'm trying to connect to Microsoft SQLServer
Desktop Engine 2000 SP4 running on my Windows XP workstation.  I'm
getting the "could not allocate a handle from database pool "pool4""
error page when I hit my site.

I can connect to the SQL server with tsql, though it doesn't give me any
output when I type in SQL commands.  Not sure what that's about.
Authentication works fine, and it rejects me if I don't give it the
correct credentials.  Anyway, I'm assuming that it works for now and am
trying to get nsfreetds working.

The relevent sections from my config.tcl (copied from the nsfreetds FAQ)
are as follows:

ns_section ns/db/drivers
    ns_param    freetds            ${bindir}/nsfreetds.so

ns_section ns/db/pools
    ns_param    pool4              "FreeTDS Pool"

ns_section ns/db/pool/pool4
    ns_param    maxidle            1000000000
    ns_param    maxopen            1000000000
    ns_param    connections        5
    ns_param    verbose            $debug
    ns_param    extendedtableinfo  true
    ns_param    logsqlerrors       $debug

    ns_param    driver             freetds
    ns_param    datasource         fooserver [also tried fooserver:bardb]
    ns_param    user               sa
    ns_param    password           bazpassword

ns_section ns/server/${server}/db
    ns_param    pools              "*"
    ns_param    defaultpool        pool4

I have the SYBASE environment variable set to /usr/local/etc, which is
where my interfaces file lives.  It looks like this:

fooserver
    query tcp 8.0 192.168.42.107 1433 [I have tried protocol version
4.2 instead of 8.0 and it makes no difference]

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.  I've been
banging my head against it for a few days now and I'm afraid that I'm
missing something obvious but am at a loss as to what it might be.

Thanks in advance,

-Cory