On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 19:55 -0500, Andrew Piskorski wrote:
That's only cpu load.  You also want to check it's I/O activity.
(Solaris top also shows "I/O wait" percentages but Linux unfortunately
does not.)  On older Linux boxes "iostat 5" was the way to do that.
Newer Linux systems may have different/better ways to do that.

That would probably be "vmstat 5". It gives you processes, memory, paging, block IO, traps, cpu activity. "vmstat -D" gives you disk stats. You can also use "netstat -tcs" to snapshot the number of established tcp connections on the machine - that might give you a true indication of the number of connections actually being served.

    - Steve

Steve Manning - Mandrake Linux 10.1 - Gnome 2.6
East Goscote - Leicester - UK +44 (0)116 260 5457
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Web: www.festinalente.co.uk
AIM: verbomania - Public Key: 25665CAF from: wwwkeys.pgp.net

There are only 10 types of people in this world
Those who understand binary and those who don't

-- AOLserver - http://www.aolserver.com/

To Remove yourself from this list, simply send an email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the email message. You can leave the Subject: field of your email blank.