Try something like this

 for i in `ldd nszlib.so |awk '{print $3}' `; do nm -AD $i |grep -i compressBound; done

You should get a result like:
/usr/lib/libz.so.1:00ad788f T compressBound

Check to see if you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined in your shell or a start up script or anything starting aolserver
and see if the path for libz is included in it, also check to see if you are setting anything like LD_PRELOAD.

hth