From: AOLserver Discussion [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of John Buckman
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:01 AM
To: AOLSERVER@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] aolserver focus

> I'm wondering -- does it make sense to just try to close the gap
> with LAMPP as a model, driving to the "batteries-included" distro
> Dossy's been talking about for years?  That seems to me like a
> project tons of folks could contribute too -- from docs to
> extensions to installers, etc.

On new aolserver installations, I install the ActiveState "batteries
included" tcl version, and then copy over all the libraries it has
(which is a *lot*) into aolserver's tcl directory (in my case /usr/
local/), which makes for an extremely capable AolServer/tcl distro.
hmm.. it might actually be possible to build aolserver against the
activestate distro directly to accomplish this.

The ActiveState "batteries included" tcl version competes really
well, IMHO, with PHP and Perl.  My only issue has been that
apparently TclX doesn't play nice with AOLserver and can cause
unclean shutdowns (I think Dossy said this), otherwise I have a wide
variety of libraries, pretty much all the same stuff as PHP/Perl.

-john

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the
body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the email message. You can leave the
Subject: field of your email blank.