www64:/b# ab -c 5 -n 50000 http://images.bookmooch.com/x.txt

Since your machine is a 2-CPU 8-core box, could you try runs with -c 8
and -c 16?  It may have no effect, but it'd be nice to know that for
sure.

I get more-or-less the same numbers at -c 8, -c 16 and -c 32, varying about 100 requests/second between runs.

I'm not sure why the tcl "hello world" test yields speeds so much slower, with
ab -c 8 -n 5000 http://bookmooch.com/test.adp

yielding:

On the positive side, a real world function, namely a registered tcl proc for returning a member's uploaded photo from the database:
ab -c 8 -n 5000 http://bookmooch.com/photo/johnbuckman.jpg

(I know it looks like an image url, but it's actually tcl) yields:

which is a very good real-world speed (fyi, the jpg is 6831 bytes long).

-john