Does anyone know what these "$map(%E7%A7%8B)" things are in URLs when asian-UTF characters are used?

Ie, typing into a search form on aolserver (BookMooch) for the japanese character "秋" converts it to

http://bookmooch.com/m/s/$map(%E7%A7%8B)

That $map looks like an array lookup, but I've never seen any documentation about this, or how it might be re-converted back into UTF. I can't find any mention of $map in the aolserver or tcl source code, nor online.

The other possibility is that the hex codes: %E7%A7%8B are just 3- byte representations of each character, in linear order, that needs to be reconverted back into UTF somehow.

-john