I don't see this problem in 4.0 or 4.5.

It looks like searching for 秋 on bookmooch first goes to

http://www.bookmooch.com/search?w=%E7%A7%8B&search.x=14&search.y=13

(which looks fine - that's the correct URL encoding of the UTF-8
representation of that character)

but that page immediately redirects to a cleaner search URL (
http://bookmooch.com/m/s/...) which contains the $map(...).  Maybe it's
related to the code that builds the cleaner URL?

-Hossein