I've done load testing with 64bit, watching the memory footprint as I go,
never grew for me with 100k/test.

It could be that the 64bit uses more memory, and you just never noticed that
your application grew in memory footprint over time and then stablized. The
best way to test it is to do load tests for particular packages and watch
memory, it shouldn't take long to see if it keeps growing while hitting a
single page. But multiple pages, which simulates real world loads will
usually grow.

$ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.18-gentoo-r4 #1 SMP Mon Nov 20 16:49:16 UTC 2006 x86_64
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

tom jackson