On Thursday 17 April 2008 05:50, Dossy Shiobara wrote:
> > Yuck.  IMO, the application developer MIGHT on occasion want that
> > level of control available, but forcing him to use it for every single
> > database access is sub-standard API design.
>
> I never suggested that prepared statements _replace_ the current nsdb,
> but add to it.  You would still be able to use ns_db (select, exec,
> etc.) if you don't want and/or need prepared statements for a query.

Just note that there is no difference between:

1. requiring someone to change from [ns_db exec] to [ns_pg_exec]

and

2. requiring someone to change from [ns_db exec] to [ns_db prepared...]

This is true because the statement itself is different for each database, some
use :var, some use positional ?, and some use $1. And prepared statements are
multi-command replacements.

Personally I use [ns_db exec] exclusively and use the return code to handle
things like dml, select, 1row, 0or1row, etc., otherwise you are forced to use
a catch for no other reason than to recover and return an useful error
message.