On Aug 4, 2011, at 7:20 AM, Maurizio Martignano wrote:

> 5. I have to disagree with your statement
> " A Unix pipe is just a pair of file descriptors, and a file descriptor in
> Unix is just an integer."

Feel free to disagree with the official Linux documentation then:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/pipe.2.html

Note "int pipefd[2]"

file descriptors in Unix are integers.

Dossy says this is the same in Windows (I wouldn't know), perhaps the problem
lies in the semantics, IIRC windows doesn't support anonymous pipes, for
instance.

(But I could be wrong about that … but I'm not wrong about Unix fds being ints)

----
Don Baccus
http://donb.photo.net
http://birdnotes.net