I've been trying out everything to get MySQL to work (and I'm completely
new to APE and Linux) and finally found a build which seems to work
(sql.onConnect is called!!! So it should work!)...

I'm using Debian 6.0 so I installed this
http://www.ape-project.org/stable/APE_Server-1.1.1-amd64.deb at first.
Then I compiled 1.2 (https://github.com/APE-Project/APE_Server/tree/1.2)
one and replaced aped in /usr/bin/ and libmod_spidermonkey.so in
/usr/lib/ape

I hope it helps!! I've been trying things out for about 6 hours now - at
first I thought I was doing something wrong...