On 27 March 2012 23:27, Mikel Artetxe <artet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I really understand you and you have definitely convinced me. So yes, it
> is going to be better to forget about my GUI idea and work on a command line
> tool. The utility proposed by Jimmy seems very interesting in that respect.
> The only problem that I see is that I have never worked with Ant (and my
> experience with makefiles and so is also quite little), so this would be
> something new for me. Would this suppose a big difficulty? I mean, I would
> be reading documentation and working hard to learn about it, but my lack of
> experience could perhaps be a problem... What do you think about it?

Not to worry :) Ant is just a DSL for building software. The main
difference between something like ant and make is the notion of a
dependency - that certain tasks need to be completed before others.
The task to build a jar depends on the task to compile the class
files, etc.

> Just mention that the main problem that I found when working on the iOS
> prototype was the fact that there were several duplicated symbols. For
> instance, each program (ltproc, interchunk, postchunk and so on) has
> logically a main function but, since iOS apps must consist of a single
> executable, their names collide when putting them together. The solution
> that I adopted was simply to rename them. Because of that, I sort of
> hardcoded the pipeline for a single language pair, using temporary files to
> communicate between the different stages of the translation. And, as I said
> before, the transfer stage wasn't working, but I couldn't find out why. As
> for the dependencies, I simply compile them targeting iOS and link
> statically, and it worked.

If you're going to look at that again, you should really take a look
at apertium-service. Pasquale already solved the problem of joining
together the various components into a single application, and the
service part was designed to be pluggable, so it shouldn't be too hard
to rip it out.

> Is it better now? Any other suggestion?

Looks good to me. Very well thought out.

--
<Sefam> Are any of the mentors around?
<jimregan> yes, they're the ones trolling you