On Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 13:10, Francis Tyers wrote:
> El dc 19 de 12 de 2012 a les 13:02 +0100, en/na Per Tunedal va escriure:
> > Hi,
> > I'm a bit confused. See below.
> > Yours,
> > Per Tunedal
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 11:22, Francis Tyers wrote:
> > > El dc 19 de 12 de 2012 a les 10:09 +0100, en/na Tino Didriksen va
> > > escriure:
> > >
> > --snip--

> > > I explained how you could do this in a previous email. You would need to
> > > write a module to go between the lexical-transfer output and the
> > > structural transfer input.
> >
> > In that stage the lexical selection is already done, isn't it?
>
> In what stage ? In the lexical transfer stage ? no. In the structural
> transfer stage yes. This is because, like I say above "write a module to
> _go between_" this means "in the middle of". See my schematic below.
>
> > I supposed meaning (relations) was supposed to facilitate lexical
> > selection.
>
> If you can make it facilitate lexical selection good luck!!!
>
> > What's the use of it later in the translations chain?
>
> -------------------     ---------------------     ----------------------
> | lexical transf. | ==> | lexical selection | ==> | structural transf. |
> |_________________|     |___________________|     |____________________|
>
> The lexical selection is done in the aptly-named "lexical selection"
> stage, which sits between lexical transfer (which outputs all the
> possible translations of each word) and structural transfer (which
> performs structural changes, and only works on pairs of single source
> language/target language words).
>
> Fran

Hmm I don't get it. I'm comparing with the wiki page "Apertium for
dummies" in an adjacent window:
Tagger - Lexical Selection - Lexical transfer (look up disambiguated
source-language baseword ...) - Structural transfer. Is transfer done
before lexical selection in stead?

If so, is the lexical selection done in the target language rather than
in the source language? Thus, the "meaning" in the source language
cannot be used at all?
In that case, what's the use of "meaning"?