Wow! so much of work..
Sorry, I was busy with some university sport events.

App working fine on my Galaxy y.

> Arinks is the more sophisticated, i.a. is has two seperate buttons for
> "<from>" and "<to>" where the simple just have one "Choose languages"
> button.

That is because of a reason, instead of populating list with all available
translations directions, its better to fill <from> and <to> with languages

In the end I resolved to fuse the code into 5 classes where there is no
> databases involved.

Means there will be no desktop widgets shortcuts

where clicking the arrow gave "There is no language direction from
> and no language. Only clicking "<from>" has an effect. Perhaps the
> buttons should be "grayed out" or something when they're not useful.

That can be done..

its good to have minimal featured app but, desktop widgets and similar UI
is good for user experience.

Arink
Computer Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Ropar