2012/12/25 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unham...@fsfe.org>

> Xavi Ivars <x...@infobenissa.com> writes:
> >
> > In all 3 devices I got the "bug" of two icons in the app launcher.

The two Apertium icons were the two versions: Arinks work, and a more
simple derivative where code from Mikels 'Apertium-Caffeine' is fused with
Arinks code and simplified a lot.

Arinks is the more sophisticated, i.a. is has two seperate buttons for
"<from>" and "<to>" where the simple just have one "Choose languages"
button. But with sophistication also comes completity; Arinks code is using
databases and contains of ~25 classes and, as a result of the
sophistication, will be hard to use as example code for others to
follow/import into their own projects.

Another consequence of the complexity was that I had trouble making it
react robustly to screen turning and application restarts.

In the end I resolved to fuse the code into 5 classes where there is no
databases involved.

> on second startup the translation direction said "<from> → <to>",
>

> where clicking the arrow gave "There is no language direction from
> and no language. Only clicking "<from>" has an effect. Perhaps the
> buttons should be "grayed out" or something when they're not useful.
>
> Also, a little UI request: if there's only one possible direction, it
> would make sense to auto-pick that; and if there's only one possible
> <to> for a certain <from>, that should be auto-picked on selecting that
> <from>.

This is Arink's code. Sorry for the confusion!
Please update the app or choose the other icon.
>From inside the basic activity you can choose 'Show extended example' after
pressing the MENU button to use Arink's code.

> > About the permissions, what I would do is try to require as few
> > permissions as possible.
>
> I mostly agree (either see what feature requests people make, or at
> least have a simple base that others can build on). I think SD card
> installation would be good though; on my Desire I had to remove some
> stuff before being able to install. The app does 1) work well on older
> phones and 2) work without a net connection, so I'm guessing SD install
> would make it fit well into the older-phone-market (as well as work
> great on newer phones).

Ive changed the app so it can be moved to SD card. This might make it work
on older phones with memory constraints.

Could you download again and try if you can move it to SD card and see if
it helps?
https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/builds/apertium-android/

Jacob

--