Dear all,

Aida Sundetova, a 4th-year student from the Kazakh National University
in Almaty is visiting the Universitat d'Alacant and we are working
together on apertium-eng-kaz (and we plan to do some kaz-eng). We
believe this language pair has a strategic value as much of what we do
will be reused for other X-Turkic language pairs. In view of that
responsibility, we are compelled to do things right.

As you know, our three-level structural transfer is not computationally
more powerful than the original one-level transfer, but it makes it
possible to "factor out" some common .t1x operations into higher-level
.t2x rules.

Aida and I are currently arriving to a point where we have to make
decisions as to what to put in .t1x and what to put in .t2x. Many of our
language pairs have three-level structural transfer, and therefore,
their developers have faced the same problems as Aida and I have, but I
am not aware of any place where these decisions are explained.

So, before searching in existing language pairs and trying to understand
other people's code (which is more or less like using archaeology to
figure out what an ancient culture was), we would appreciate it very
much for developers to come forward and give us some clues about how
they did their job. Any informal narrative would be helpful.  I know
that this may involve some soul-searching (a.k.a. elicitation), so I
appreciate your effort even more!

We plan to write this up as part of Aida's degree defense, and we will
duly acknowledge any input there!

Thanks a lot

All the best

Mikel L. Forcada

--
  Mikel L. Forcada (http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mlf/)
Departament de Llenguatges i Sistemes Informàtics