Mikel L. Forcada <m...@dlsi.ua.es<mailto:m...@dlsi.ua.es>> kirjoitti 2016 njuk
7 kello 08:46:

Folks:
some comments and clarifications:

It was already there before the Apertium-OmegaT plugin. I don't know the
webservices they use, but the functionality is there. In principle, any pair
offered through the API should work fine in OmegaT.

Very nice for the ones for whom this works. If anyone is able to set up or
document e.g. sme-smn I would be glad to confirm that it works.

The rationale behind using an online plugin is clear and I share it completely.
And rather than a proof-of-concept, it is a great product for translators. I
have used it to translate political material from Spanish to Catalan at
incredible rates (say, 2000 words per hour).

This is in line with my experiences for nob-nno for Wikipedia. And the issue is
of course online __and__ offline.

For those who use OmegaT to produce publishable documents with the help of
machine translation, it would be great to have a plugin that supports as many
languages as possible. I would favour any GSoC project going towards that goal.

So would I.

But that will be irrelevant to the language community and their translators.
What they need is the possibility to use a web-based MT input, just like for
the Wikipedia Content Translation.
Well, my take is completely different here. A locally-installed,
general-purpose, free/open-source computer-aided translation tool such as
OmegaT allowing you to use both machine translation and your translation
memories to produce new material is far more powerful and responsive than any
ad-hoc web interface (unless it is tightly bound with a great product such as
Wikipedia) and, in fact, such a tool is what many professional and volunteer
translators would choose to use if (a) they knew about it and (b) they got
decent support for the languages they work with.

I have evidently expressed myself clumsily here: First, I want both options.
Second, my reluctance towards offline OmegaT for sme-smn is that I so far have
seen only setups where the offline version demands downloading and setting up
the apertium file system on a unix system, a requirement that excludes the
translators I have in mind. So, yes, please to a tools for sme-smn that the
translators can download to their Windows computers and use offline. As far as
that is not possible, we are dependent upon a web-based system, and when it
becomes possible, well, then we may as well keep the web-based one up and
running.

In fact, using Apertium and OmegaT you can even give an indication the quality
of each target word in a translation hypotheses coming from the translation
memory, without actually presenting any MT output to the translator (see
http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mespla/edithints.html).

Splendid.

You can also log the work of the translator with a plugin
(https://github.com/mespla/OmegaT-SessionLog) and mine the log file to assess
the effect of MT in translator productivity.

Splendid again.

Improving Apertium language pairs and making them work in all platforms and
webservices is crucial, I agree.

The key phrase here is “Apertium language pairs”.

Trond