One not so unimportant issue that I do not see mentioned anywhere is
E-mail addresses.
While svn only maintains a simple user name, git requires user name +
E-mail address.  Tools like git-svn will only create a dummy address
(user@repository-hash or something like that).

When reactos moved to github in October, a list of svn committer names
plus full (real) names and E-mail addresses was compiled and supplied to
the conversion tool, with more meaningful dummy addresses for previous
committers without a known valid E-mail address.
Apertium could use something like
svnnameofcommitterwhol...@svn.apertium.org in that case.

My suggestion is therefore to scan all AUTHORS files for E-mail
addresses and names corresponding to the respective committers.
This has the additional benefit, that if those authors have a github
account and use the same name+address combination with their github
repositories, github will automatically recognize their commits as theirs.

Regards
Benedikt