Hi Tomohiro,

Maybe it is not the 2019 version of the application form, but the 2020 one
(if Apertium is elected by Google as a partner organisation) should not be
very different of this one:
http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Top_tips_for_GSOC_applications
Essentially, for a pair like English and Japanese the main questions
probably will be:

    * reasons why Google and Apertium should sponsor it,
    * a description of how and who it will benefit in society,

(essentially because both English and Japanese are resourceful languages).
Imho, Okinawan-Japanese would be a much more Apertium-like proposal. But,
of course, I may be wrong. I should maybe add that for building a
translator it is not absolutely necessary to be proficient in the source
language. If you can read it and you have access to grammars, dictionaries
and informants, this is usually enough. But, of course, the more you know
the source language (not only the target one), the better.

Hèctor

Missatge de Tomohiro Akazawa <tomohiroakaz...@gmail.com> del dia dg., 23 de
febr. 2020 a les 14:27: