Hello everyone.

I was contacted by a friend with a small orchard near Buffalo, MN who has learned that a new property owner plans to surface mine gravel on land adjacent to, and upslope of his small orchard. Eventually, the property owner intends to sub-divide the land after the gravel is removed.

As the neighbor's intent suggests, the orchard itself is a considerably gravelly-loam soil, although, as happens on the prairie, there is a small wetland and small lake to the other side of the orchard, so obviously, some underlying areas have either good clay content and compacted layers (or less likely, stone ledge).

I was asked, but did not know what the hydrological impacts might be upon the orchard (if any) - save surface water run-off when soils are either frozen or at field capacity.

For my friend's benefit, and also my own elucidation -- and possibly, to similar gain for others out there -- I am interested in learning of possible negative ramifications of such a venture, from persons with similar circumstance or with particular knowledge in this regard.

Thanks much.

Best Regards,  Kevin Iungerman.

--
Kevin Iungerman, Extension Associate
Cornell Northeastern NY Commercial Fruit Program

"Possibilities begin with people sharing ideas and working together."