This is badly needed! Gravensteins are some of the tastiest Summer apples
around. We just finished pressing 10 bushels of gravs, the juice is out of this
world.

The chill comment is interesting, but it seems most apples aren't as chill
sensitive as people think they are. Gravensteins are not an apple you want to
grow in a hot Summer climate like the Central Valley anyway unless you enjoy
mealy apples.

Lack of chill is already a problem in the Central valley. On apples, the
symptoms are fruit that won't size up and lack of vigor. Here in the Santa Cruz
mountains we have years where chill hour accumulation is inadequate, and it
usually shows as lack of size and an extended harvest season. That's not a
problem for a backyard gardener, but it's a killer for a commercial grower.

This last Winter was a perfect example, but I am surprised as to how many apple
varieties thrive even in the low chill conditions we had last Winter. The # of
varieties exhibiting lack of chill symptoms is rather small, and we also had a
bumper cherry crop, everything from bing to rainer and tartarians were loaded.

But the problem is easy to solve anyway. Breed for low chill, end of story.