>From what I've read fresh water will be the limiting population factor long
>before energy.

I hate to see people dying off but perhaps a world population fewer than 2
billion or even one billion would be much better for the planet and humans
alike. In fact I think we all know deep down it would be.
It would be great if population reduction could take place in a voluntary lower
birth rate manner but I'm not holding my breath especially when the capitalist
system seems to depend on a constantly growing population.

Bill Fleming
Montana State University
Western Ag Research Center
580 Quast Ln
Corvallis, Montana
________________________________
From: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net [mailto:apple-c...@virtualorchard.net] On
Behalf Of Randy Beaudry
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:35 AM
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: Re: Apple-Crop: RE:..and causes you to be fat too!

Another relatively sobering book on that topic is called the Long Emergency by
J.H. Knustler, which details our dependence upon fossil fuels and the state of
emergency that will (may?) ensue following the eventual consumption of world
oil supplies past the point of peak oil.  A couple factoids from that book
remain with me, including the high number of fuel calories needed to put a
calorie of food (grain, fruit, vegetable, meat) in our bellies.  I can only
assume that if/when shortages become real, the relative proportion of available
oil resources will need to be redirected toward food - and that the efficiency
of farming and marketing systems on a per calorie in versus a calorie out will
need to be optimized.  It occurs to me that this is an area where farmers and
industry will likely lead the way as they will be on the front lines of change.
  The book Sustainable Energy (Without all the Hot Air) by  physicist David
McKay helps frame the eventual decline in oil availability by explicitly
describing what our long term options are for alternative energy (using the UK
as a model) based on current science.  That's a pretty grim book as well in
some regards, but both authors depict a sea change in human activity in the
near future.

Randy Beaudry