From: apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net
[mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net] On Behalf Of Mark Angermayer
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:43 AM
To: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net
Subject: [apple-crop] Best electric fencing materials - Deer

I'd like to put up some electric fence to discourage deer and have some

questions on the type of wire.

My understanding is the poor visibility of standard electric fence wire is

not optimum for deer.

Electric fence tape is more visible but catches a good bit of wind, and we

get a lot of that here.

I've spoken with a wildlife expert and he indicated electric rope is now

being recommended for deer.

However, there are a ton of options for electric rope.  I'd like something

that has minimal sag and a long life.

Something like this 1/8" rope would seem to fit the bill

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=26db629c-952b-40e8-88be-7f2269d659e6

but I don't know if it would have high enough visibility for deer.  They

make a 1/4" rope that would be more visible.  Anyone using any of these

electric rope products?

Mark Angermayer

Tubby Fruits

Bucyrus KS