From: apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net
[mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net] On Behalf Of David A.
Rosenberger
Sent: February-20-14 1:29 PM
To: Apple-crop discussion list
Subject: Re: [apple-crop] Tall spindle trellis

In theory, trellis rows could be “as long as you want them to be,”  but in
reality there are almost certainly limits to the amount of tension the
end-posts can handle without coming out of the ground.

Consider the worst case scenario:  Trees that have grown to 3-ft above the
wire (i.e., 13 ft tall) with 2000 bushels/A evenly distributed over the
upper 12 ft of the canopy (i.e., none within 1 ft of the ground).  That
could mean that 25% of the fruit are above the 10-ft top wire, and in my
experience those upper limbs will tend to fall toward the leeward side of
the tree due to wind effects. Let’s assume that trees are on 10-ft row
spacings and that 10% of the total crop is above the wire and off-center to
the leeward side.  If I’ve done the math correctly so far, that means that
every acre will have 4-tons of apples off-center and at least 10-ft above
ground.  At 10-ft between rows, it will require 4,356 ft to make an acre.
Thus, with rows 1000-ft long, there will be roughly 1 ton of off-center
apples 10-ft above the ground.  Now add a 40 mph crosswind just before
harvest, and (for those in the east) assume that you just had 10 inches of
rain due to a hurricane coming up the coast. The line posts will provide
some support, but ultimately the greatest stress will be on the end-posts,
and that stress will increase with the total length of the trellis.

Even on short rows of only 300 ft, I have gradually seen trellises go
off-center with time (i.e., line posts begin to lean a bit) due to wind
effects, uneven cropping on the two sides of the trees, and slope (which
leads to uneven frost-heave effects).  If the trellises are tilted just a
bit under the scenarios outlined above, then the stresses on the end posts
will be multiplied.  Admittedly, my observations are mostly with wider trees
and wider row spacings, and those planting systems probably was more prone
to going off-center than a narrow tree wall.  Nevertheless, the side-ways
forces on trellises should not be ignored.

You may quibble with some of my assumptions, but I really would like to
see/hear an engineers perspective on how long rows can be given various soil
types, diameter of both line posts and end posts, crop distribution in tops
of trees, soil moisture levels, etc.    Whatever the answers might be, I can
guarantee that when a trellis goes over in a storm, the owner with shorter
sections is likely to come out with smaller losses than the person with
longer runs if one assumes that construction on shorter and longer sections
was equivalent.

Dave Rosenberger, Plant Pathologist (retired)
    Cornell's Hudson Valley Lab, P.O. Box 727, Highland, NY 12528
       Office:  845-691-7231    Cell:     845-594-3060
        http://pppmb.cals.cornell.edu/people/dave-rosenberger