Is there any information on the long term value of pre-planting sucker
reduction?

On some apple (and peach) rootstocks that arrive from the nursery, I have
seen what appear to be cream-colored, corm-like 'nodes' at various locations
on the roots themselves as well as the lower portions of the central
portion; these all pop off relatively freely when wiggled.  I have also seen
suckers up to a few inches long as well.

Are these nodes the origination points of future sucker growth, or just
suckers that are already on their way?  Do suckering rootstocks simply
sucker from almost anywhere along their buried material, from dormant sucker
buds scattered all over?

For sucker control over the life of the planting, is there any benefit to
manually removing these nodes and growing suckers?  Or would that only
reduce the suckering for the spring of the planting year?

I am planning to plant a lot of heavily-suckering Bud 9 and B.9/MM.111, and
if long term benefits of removing these nodes are worth the one-time effort
before planting, then I will do the work.  The hardest suckers to control
are the ones right up next to the trunk, and any permanent sucker reduction
would be nice on these heavily suckering rootstocks.

I hope someone has done the research and is willing to educate ignorant folk
such as I.

Grateful in advance,

Steven Bibula