As a nurseryman with a stake in East Africa, I find the discussion
fascinating.  Here GMO is being used to slightly modify a cosmetic flaw in
an apple for marketing purposes; where I work with in Uganda, it is being
used to give resistance to plantain bananas to a devistating disease that
is wiping out their food supply, with people starving as a result. The
Arctic Apple folks claim that their product is the most tested apple in
history, and this is why APHIS had to approve it; their conclusion cannot
be affected by public opinion or demand, but on science.  What if it indeed
proves in the long run to be safe? (I've seen zero research stating
otherwise).  I wish with you guys that the first GMO apple released would
have been something that's actually useful to us, such as reducing the
12-20 sprays necessary to bring an apple to market, but as far as GMO
actions go, this one is pretty benign; switching off a gene already in the
apple and not imported from a moth or potato, for a minor alteraion.  But
maybe this was the place they had to start to address a very important
question; is this indeed safe, and should it be used to protect the world's
food supply?

Kevin Hauser
Kuffel Creek Apple Nursery
Riverside, California