Quoting "Philip M. Gollucci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

my CFLAGS on FreeBSD are
-g -O2 -Werror -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wfloat-equal
-Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wsign-compare
-Waggregate-return -Wmissing-noreturn -Wmissing-format-attribute
-Wpacked -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wdisabled-optimization
-Wno-long-long -Wendif-labels -Wcast-align

gcc 4.1.1?

BTW, I'm not 100% sure that -fno-strict-aliasing is the right flag to use. I just know that by trying them in order (as described in gcc man page) and above -O1, this was the one that started the problems. Then I went the other way and did -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing (i.e. removed only that one from the lot above -O1) and the assembly was still good.

The manual page of gcc seem to suggest that "type-punning" may cause problems like this.

I will report this in Red Hat Bugzilla and we'll see what the problem really is (i.e. is it something in gcc or maybe even APR).

--
Bojan