Nicolas KUHN <nicolas.k...@telecom-bretagne.eu> writes:

> Please let us know what you think of the current document.

Hi Nicolas and others

Thank you for the draft; here are some comments, mostly of a more
general nature (as opposed to concrete proposals for rewording).

1. TESTING METHODOLOGY AND REPRODUCIBILITY
I think it is important to encourage good testing methodology in a
document like this; and from the current draft the actual proposed
testing method is not clear.

I realise it is also important to leave some room for people to do
things in the way that suits their work-flow, however I believe some
minimum standards for methodology would be appropriate. Reproducibility
is a part of this that is especially important, but other areas that
spring to mind are:

- A sufficiently detailed description of the test setup to allow others
  to replicate it. Including software and hardware versions etc.
- Availability of the data used for analysis to allow others to check
  the conclusions drawn.

Requiring a reference implementation to be available could also be
relevant to this general point; I would think it would be a reasonable
requirement to have.

2. COMPETING VS LOAD-INDUCING TRAFFIC CHARACTERISTICS
Distinguishing between the effect an AQM has on the traffic that induces
the congestion and traffic that competes with it is worthwhile, in my
opinion. For some applications (e.g. background transfers), maximising
goodput for the "offending" stream is less important than ensuring that
other traffic is not experiencing added latency because of it, while for
others (e.g. an adaptive video conference stream), the latency of the
"offending" stream can be vital. Having this distinction in the
measurements (by measuring both) makes it possible to evaluate this
aspect of the AQM behaviour.

3. SOME COMMENTS ON THE SCENARIOS
I have various comments on the proposed testing scenarios:

- 10 Mbps is a fairly high bandwidth compared to the average connection
  to the internet. I believe it would be worthwhile to include lower
  bandwidth(s) in the "general" scenarios, and not just in the "optional"
  ones.
- I don't believe the scenario dubbed "Wi-Fi" is a realistic
  representation of the behaviour of a wifi link. A comprehensive wifi
  test would include the presence of multiple hosts, bandwidth varying
  on very short time scales, and packet aggregation behaviour. I would
  suggest keeping the existing scenario, but calling it something else,
  and then adding a more comprehensive wifi scenario (which would
  probably need some hashing out).
- I'm missing measurements of the behaviour of real-world traffic such
  as DNS lookups, HTTP requests, etc. Indeed, having bidirectional
  traffic included would be good.

4. SCHEDULING vs AQM
In the first section(s) mention AQM and scheduling as though they are
interchangeable, while a later section mentions AQM interaction with
scheduling mechanisms. I believe it is worthwhile to both (a)
distinguish clearly between what is mean by AQM resp scheduling, but
also (b) make the recommendations apply equally to a "pure" AQM
algorithm and to a combination scheme that includes both an AQM and a
scheduler (which may or may not be intricately linked in their
operation).

5. STABILITY ANALYSIS
While I agree that it is important for an algorithm proposal to argue
plausibly for its stability, I think it is wrong to *require* that
argument to be made in the form of a control theoretic analysis. Such a
requirement limits possible algorithms to those that can be described
using that particular paradigm (loosely, things expressible and solvable
by differential equations). For instance, the fluid dynamic TCP model
commonly used for control theory stability analysis, discards a lot of
the dynamics of TCP, most notably slow start and other transient
behaviour, and focuses on the steady state. Since it is by no means
clear that this is the only way to make the argument (and indeed
focusing too much on the steady state can be counter-productive), I
would suggest to at least reword the section to mention control theory
as *a* way to make the argument, rather than the *only* way.

Sorry if this got a bit long; I started with a much shorter list of
notes, I swear! :)

-Toke