> On Mar 2, 2016, at 12:53 PM, Alan Jenkins
> <alan.christopher.jenk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Google avoid the bursts you describe, using pacing.

I have been an advocate of pacing during the first transmission burst
(including after an idle period) for quite some time, and also for delay-based
algorithms. There would be no need for AQM if TCPs would maximize throughput
while at the same time minimizing mean end to end delay, which is a matter of
choosing for cwnd the largest value that maintains the smallest current RTT.

Those Google folk are pretty smart.