On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Jim Gettys <j...@freedesktop.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF) <
> i...@kuehlewind.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alia,
>>
>> thanks for your feedback! Just on your first point regarding the status.
>> The working group felt that there was not enough deployment to go directly
>> to standards track and given AQM algorithm don’t need interoperability it
>> was not really important for them to go to standards track right away.
>> However, I leave it to the authors if they are able to add more text on how
>> experimentation should be further performed.
>>

> ​This should be revisited.
>
> fq_codel is the default queue discipline on many/most Linux distributions
> on the planet at this date.

​Actually, I take that back.

Codel is present in Linux, but essentially unused; it is there for
experimentation​ (to make it easy for people to compare with fq_codel, PIE,
etc, and to allow the fq_codel spec to reference it.

So Experimental is appropriate for Codel, though explaining why would be
good.  Fq_codel is a different story: it's widely deployed, and there are
multiple implementations (I believe the BSD folks finally got their act
together).
                                                  - Jim

                                                   - Jim