On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 08:31:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 05:02:07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > I had a problem where Arachne would download pages very slowly and
>> > stall when downloading a page. It would only do it on the page it
>> > downloaded the graphic images just fine, if it got that far.
>> > Basically, I am running it on a 166 Mhz pentium, with 72 meg ram in a
>> > Dr-Dos Task Manager window with 7 meg of XMS allocated. I use a 56k serial
>> > modem with a 16550 UART. What I had to do was change the computer to modem
>> > speed from 115200 in both the PPPD.CFG and Arachne to 19200. Once I did
>> > that it now downloads at a normal speed and no longer stalls out. Does
>> > anyone know why I would have to do this? Does Arachne have a problem
>> > accessing the com port at high speeds? Does it not buffer properly? Thanks

>> > John

>> Hi John,
>> in practise the speed of a normal telephone connection wil not exeed
>> 19k2 ... often lower than that.
<snip>

>> CU Bastiaan

> Thanks forthe reply. That is why buffering is built in to the 16550.
> None of my other comm programs have a problem with a 115200 speed
> just Arachne. I would think if my line was slow it would show up on
> all my comm programs. Do other people have the same problem and is
> everyone running
> it at 19.2k? Also if the stalling is caused by the line speed why does
> it not show up
> when Arachne is downloading a file or graphics? Why does it only show
> up on the initial web page downloads?

> John

> John Musielewicz

Hello John,
  The following lines are in my Arachne.cfg file. After connection
I can point her to PPP.LOG and see the *actual* TX and RX speeds,
along with the standard negotiated (usually V.90).

I typically find 26400 TX, 52000 RX. Even though 38400 is spec'd in the
CFG file...

As to the original question, I can't help :-]

Speed 38400
InitString at&f&c1&k3L3W3\A1