Dale Mentzer wrote:

> Maybe it would be easiest to simply place a
> "dummy" file consisting of a single text character
> repeated sufficiently enough to create a large enough
> file to expand the RAMdisk to the desired size.

After spending most of the day playing with different
sizes of Linux ramdisks, I have now come to the
conclusion that there is some sort of limit at 4meg
(at least with Slackware 3.5).  Anything 4meg or
smaller works perfectly.  Anything bigger produces
a scary list of errors.  So 4meg it is.

That leaves you with method 2:
-----------------------------
mke2fs /dev/ram1 4096     <--- this creates ramdisk
mount /dev/ram1 /mnt      <--- this mounts it
-----------------------------
This will add 4meg to your BasicLinux filesystem.
As long as you download/gunzip in the /mnt directory,
you should have plenty of room.  NOTE: you'll have
to wait for BasicLinux 1.1 to do this.  There's no
ram1 device in 1.0.

I'll upload BasicLinux 1.1 in the morning.  It
seems to be running fine right now, but I want
to test it some more just to be sure.

Cheers,
Steven

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ichi/baslinux.html