True -- which is why I never give money to panhandlers.  I prefer to donate
money, food, clothing, etc., to non-profit organisations that help homeless
people who really want to help themselves -- and many do.

Here in California, the prevailing mentality is the "entitlement" mentality
(believe it or not, the rich are especially prone to this kind of
thinking), which is one of the things I don't like about this state.  Back
home in Toronto, one would never have dreamed of looking a gift horse in
the mouth; but then again, we Canadians prided ourselves on our manners and
were appreciative of what other people did for us.

To this day, I make every effort never to take anything or anyone for
granted! :-)