Casper wrote:
>> Ok, what about ~/arachne-1.66b/arachne (ok, this might not be the correct
>> path since I haven't installed it) then? User installed programs are not in
>> the /bin (or /sbin or /usr/bin) directories, so I guess the user shouldn't
>> install any programs then. How's that for "freedom of choice" ;-)
>
>They should be there. It's Michaels fault Arachne doesn't follow the scheme.
>Virtually any other package does use this structure.

So you don't think a user should have the rights to install programs? Weird
since many Linux systems are in a networked environment where you as a user
can't install (nor root access). If you want to blame Michael blame me as
well, I encouraged his choice while he was still wondering if it was good.
That Arachne requires the executable to be installed by a root user to be
able to use SVGALib is another thing entirely.
Take the good program SetEdit that Dev wrote about in another mail -
there's no way we ever could get the admin at school to install such a
program since it isn't for X.

Apparently one of us have missunderstood who the freedom that Linux offers
really is for. "All are equal, except some are more equal than others" -
Animal farm