On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 00:02:14 +0200, Or Botton wrote:

> Dale Mentzer wrote:

>> Gee, Or, maybe you should unsubscribe from your mail lists before you
>> go on vacation! ;)

> ... please notice the word "hypotetical" in the topic. I do not use
> a ramdrive for my e-mails. Infact, i dont use one.. at all.
> I only get about 70 messages a day. And I always unsubscribe before
> going to a vacation.

> Just wanted to clear it up.. I only asked about a hypotetical
> sitation, and I didnt actually had this happening to me.

> And I was refering to a friend as an example (who is using Communicator
> on Windows 95), who gets about 300 messages a day. more or less.
> (probebly more). It was just a general idea, that Arachne should
> have a thing for checking for file limit incase and the user decide
> for some unclear reason to store the mail in root, or for when
> you run out of space in general.

 OK, *someone* had to test it.
That "someone" is me. ;-)

 I set the root directory of my RamDisk as the Mail directory.

DI-Disk Information, Advanced Edition 4.50, (C) Copr 1987-88, Peter Norton

  Information from DOS         Drive L:       Information from the boot record
                               system id             'F.UBERTO'
                        media descriptor (hex)               F8
            11               drive number
           512             bytes per sector                 512
             2            sectors per cluster                 2
             1              number of FATs                    1
           512          root directory entries              512
           250              sectors per FAT                 250
        63,858            number of clusters
                           number of sectors            128,000
             1               offset to FAT                    1
           251            offset to directory
           283              offset to data
                           sectors per track                  8
                                 sides                        1
                            hidden sectors                    0

Press any key to continue...

 I then sent 600 duplicate messages to my own address.
(this telnet session shows 601 because 1 more arrived before I sent my 600)

Clarkson University Tcp Communication Package
Clarkson University Terminal Emulator [CUTE:2.2D/TC-D]

Alt-H presents a summary of special keys

+OK VOPmail POP3 Server-NOTF 4.3.183.0 Ready <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
user glennmcc
+OK glennmcc is welcome here
pass *********
+OK glennmcc's mailbox has 601 message(s) (529695 octets)

* mail.cisne 110                                                          20:45

 What happened when I tried to D/L those messages???
at message #507.... "Mail download aborted"

Why 507 ???

507 + \arachne\ + \temp\ + command.com + $idx$tbs.idx + $srt$tbs.idx = 512

So, the answer to the hypothetical question.....

The mail download will be aborted if the root directory limit is reached.

Now we know. ;-)

Glenn McCorkle [EMAIL PROTECTED] North Jackson, Ohio, USA
DOS prog. for QV cameras http://www.angelfire.com/id/glenndoom/qvplay.html
Other stuff http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
--
            Arachne, The Web Browser for DOS
   Open the 'DOOR' to the WWW. Keep the 'windows' closed.