Hi Christof,

some my objections ;-) ...

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:23:33 Christof Lange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<snip>
> Hello, Geoff,
> now finally on editing national characters.
> My comment has two parts.

> 1. Do not use Arachne for email...
> - ----------------------------------

Use Arachne only !!! Joke, of course. BTW, with Arachne I can get/listen
Voice-Mail.

Arachne is very reliable as mailer (if works ;-). It's my prefered mailer,
BTW. Have many times got/sent messages about 3-5 MB.

>> e-mails from Russia, and viewing most Russian WWW pages (although I have
>> seen some that clearly use a different character set.

> If you are not just playing with mail, but produce and read big
> quantities of text, I would recommend to you applications which are
> made for this rather than Arachne. Running under DOS they
> naturally use DOS codepages (either KOI8-R or CP866) and your
                                      ~~~~~~Is not DOS codepage but
UNIX!

> dual English-Russian keyboard configuration. This does not matter, as
> far as the output is okay. According to international mail standards
> the outgoing mail files (in Arachne *.TBS) must not contain
> 8Bit code at all - neither DOS nor WWW character sets, but the
> 8bit characters encoded into 7bit.

8-O Very weak point indeed...

<snip>

> I personally prefer Pegasus Mail that has a fantastic support for
> national characters in MIME (Russian mail will be displayed in
> cyrillic, if you set the codepage to CP 866. When a West or Central
> European codepage is selected, the Russian text is transcribed to
> English or Czech alphabet. The program is free, international
> character sets are included in a separate package. Using Arachne as a
> gateway allows viewing incoming mail in Arachne, first. If they are
> not readable here, in Pegasus, they certainly will be.

I prefer Arachne ;-). BTW, being this summer on conference in Novosibirsk
I've meet two Czech academicians from some Praha uni (one from them was
in age of Michal Polak). So both haven't hear about Arachne at all !!!

But your both advices about printing and converting are very sound.
Really good work.

Regards,

- --
Vasily Zatsepin           |        mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Arachne WWW browser v.1.66 - registered
 Visit http://arachne.browser.org/ - Web browser for DOS