Dear Vasily,

>Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:59:55 +0300
>From: "Vasily Zatsepin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Cyrillic characters
>
>Hi Christof,
>
>some my objections ;-) ...
>
>Arachne is very reliable as mailer (if works ;-). It's my prefered mailer,
>BTW. Have many times got/sent messages about 3-5 MB.

Yes it is! That's why I use it as a Gateway = just to send and
receive while online. But for me Arachne is not quick enough for
what comes next:

- automatically sort files by To/From addresses and subject lines
- automatically send standard replies or join to mailing lists
- translating multiple character sets (in Arachne can be readable
only one at one time.
- an editor which applies to the particular needs of composing mail
(eg. macros and definable text elements!)

This is what I found at Pegasus. I call this program from
within Arachne through hotkey Shift F9 (Shift F10 I have set to
send/receive script). So I just switch between the applications.

I cannot hide that I am *very* unhappy with one feature in
Pegasus: The address book is not compatible to anything and forces me
to double my  address database into Pegasus od to practise some
rather complicated way of mail merge.

>> naturally use DOS codepages (either KOI8-R or CP866) and your
>                                      ~~~~~~Is not DOS codepage but
>UNIX!

right, I mixed it up with our old DOS text processor T602 which
invented an internal Czech-German-Russian codepage which people say
is somehow related to KOI8-R. As I do not use Linux, I only
meet KOI8-R as a conversion problem with some HTML files or mail.

>> the outgoing mail files (in Arachne *.TBS) must not contain
>> 8Bit code at all - neither DOS nor WWW character sets, but the
>> 8bit characters encoded into 7bit.
>
>8-O Very weak point indeed...

I do not regard this as a weak point - as far as the internet
providers and software authors keep to the standards. All, I
wanted to say is: Arachne does the necessary translation perfectly
well, Pegasus, too.

>I prefer Arachne ;-). BTW, being this summer on conference in Novosibirsk
>I've meet two Czech academicians from some Praha uni (one from them was
>in age of Michal Polak). So both haven't hear about Arachne at all !!!

Czech Republic is a very Western minded country. So MS Windows and
MS Word has become absolutely dominant. It would be interesting
to discuss, why other other attempts to implement national character
sets into text processing software were finally defeated! But there
are some indications that we are not really a Western country:
If some people protest against IMF and World Bank police behaves in a
quite traditionally Eastern way. And back to software: People here do
not really like to pay for it.

Regards,
Christof Lange

 Christof Lange
 Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
 phone: (+420-2) 22 78 18 00 / 22 78 20 02
 fax: (+420-2) 22 78 18 01
 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 WWW: http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov