Herbert,

Probably the first thing to do is to post your ARACHNE.CFG file.  Be sure to
xxx out your password wherever it appears in the file.

Next, try to describe the what happens up to the point that you get "PPP not
found."

But first, try to do this:  Go to the directory where Arachne is located and
at the command prompt, type, "Arachne -u" (without the quotes, of course).
It may appear not to do anything, but I have found that it does *something.*
Then try to connect again with Arachne.

When I first started using Arachne, I had the same problem.  I then changed
to auto logon, and everything worked perfectly.  If you are in terminal mode
and manually entering the responses to the prompts, try completing your
script for auto logon.  Remember, the prompts in the "WaitFor#" are case
sensitive.  Make sure all the hyphens are removed from all "WaitFor#,"
"Response#" lines.

I'm sure that with the combined help of this list, you will be up and running
shortly.

Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona  USA

Herbert Valliant wrote:
>>Dear Listers

I have been trying to install Arachne 1.66 without much success.
After dial up, login and pressing F7 I get after a long pause
"PPP link is down, driver is not installed"

I am running MS DOS 6.22. I have serial (RS232) ports enabled on
COM1 and COM2. Originally I had the modem on COM4.  Dale Mentzer,
explained to me the possiblilty of a BIOS problem which
incorrectly reports the location of the modem. I therefore moved
the modem from COM4 to COM3. That did not help. I also tried
setting the modem location with the non-standard set-up but that
did not help either. I have another application which requires
COM1 and COM2 so I need to leave these free to use.<<