On Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:17:55 -0500, L.D. Best wrote:

> Sam H ...

> You advise that PC-PINE allows for newsgroup access.

> Does PC-PINE work on a LAN, or "existing connection?"

I believe I can recall having read somewhere on their website that they
have also a DOS version designed to be run on a LAN.  You can look for
answers at http://www.washington.edu/pine.

BTW, you should be advised that PC-PINE for DOS will not work with a POP3
server.  You will need to connect to an IMAP server.  You can sign up for
a free email account that uses an IMAP server at
http://www.subdimension.com.  I myself use this service and I like it.
You can connect to your alternate email server through your own ISP.  This
service does not cost anything.  It really is free.  I have been using the
service for over a year.

PC-PINE for DOS will run also on an "existing" dialup connection, because
it is a WATTCP.CFG application.  You can exit Arachne without hanging up
and then you can get into PC-PINE by using the same dialup connection that
you used for running Arachne.  BTW, I use DR-DOS, version 7.02 and I
normally run with NWCACHE loaded.  I have found that PC-PINE does not like
NWCACHE.  For that reason I find it necessary to uninstall NWCACHE before
running PC-PINE.

Sam Heywood
-- See our Big Gizmotimetemp at
-- http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig/US/VA/Mt_Jackson.gif