from Steven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Slackware comes with many different kernels to choose from.
>In Slackware 7.1 are you using the same type of kernel as
>you were using previously?

I use the N_5380.S kernel, it seems to be the only one that recognizes my SCSI.
I guess that rules me out regarding Basic Linux and other mini-Linuxes?

>What command are you using when you try to mount the second
>hard disk?

I have (had) three logical partitions: DOS, HPFS and ext2, in that order.
Commands are
mount -t msdos /dev/hdb5 /dose    and
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb7 /lina

but these are not mountable (mount points existed).

I was successful restoring the partition table for the first hard disk, am able
to access the DOS and Linux partitions again without formatting, though the DOS
partition is no longer bootable.  I guess I could use SYS to make the DOS
partition bootable, but I want to combine that partition with that OS/2 Boot
Manager partition of slightly > 1 MB, no longer being used for that purpose, and
then use SYS.
I managed to
mkdosfs /dev/hda5
(formerly OS/2 boot partition, had no useful user data, so I figured I could use
the 160 MB for DOS stuff.  OS/2 Warp 4 installation diskettes were halting with
Trap 000d, hence were no longer bootable.)
/dev/hdb5 is now drive E: under DOS, and DR-DOS 7.03 DIR E: shows

(Sending this message is a gamble, it might mess up, base64 attachment might be
safer.  Something is clearly wrong.  If I run CHKDSK E: /f, it will all be
toast, if it isn't already.)

 Volume in drive E does not have a label
 Directory of  E:\

  2,148,565,007  0-13-44 12:00a