On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 23:12:33 -0400 (EDT), Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried PINE?  It shows HTML mail much as Lynx
> > shows web pages.  Any links given in the mail which are
> > clicked on can then be opened in any browser you want.
> > I have arachne set as my browser for PINE.
> > This does NOT show HTML e-mail in Arachne... only links
> > within e-mail that you "click" on.  Is that what you're
> > after?
>
> Steve:
>
> What version of PINE are you using?

4.21 in Linux.

> I use the DOS version and it does not "render" HTML attachments.

  It does it a little too well for me... sometimes I don't even
know whether I'm looking at html mail or text mail.

  One GREAT advantage is that when those idiots send you
HTML e-mails that download 27 graphics to your e-mail
program, you can simply read them "lynx" style first...
and then either delete or view in a graphical browser.

> When using PINE, unless I were to save all my email messages as
> separate files, I don't know of any way to view these messages
> except with the built-in PICO editor program.  If you have
> discovered a better and more versatile way of viewing your email
> messages with PINE, please let me know about it.

  The first screenshot shows a single line text message
(the URL) with the HTML attachment.

  The second shows what happens when you hit the down
arrow three times and then <enter>.

http://wizard.dyndns.org/pine_head.png
http://wizard.dyndns.org/pine_arachne.png

  You can do essentially the same thing without the
"bloat" of X.  In the console, PINE is full-screen,
and "clicking" a link simply switches out to a full-
screen SVGALIB Arachne.

 - Steve