I think that John Dvorak hit the nail on the head about M$ in his article,
"What Microsoft Antivirus Software?" available on Yahoo's "Technology-ZDNet",
or, directly entering the URL:

//dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20011206/tc/

   what_microsoft_antivirus_software_1.html

(The above URL to be entered as one continuous line, of course.  Anything
this long I am not responsible for typos, errors or omissions.)

Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona  USA

Sam Ewalt wrote:

. > Hardly anyone ever *decides* to use Microsoft products. BG's
. > commercial genius is that he has removed enduser decision
. > making from the software equation.

. > Microsoft's prime customer has always been the computer manufacturer.

. > Most computers sold at retail just come set up with Microsoft. The
. > advertising is just frosting on a cake that has already been sold.

. > It reinforces the inevitable and makes it seem like the only "choice".

. > It's just easier to go with the flow because it "comes that way".

. > Sam Ewalt