In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:

> a problem with all these very nice offline html viewers
> is that they do not care about non-English texts with diacritical
> (8 bit) characters. If you wanted to read a Czech text you will have
> to install a iso8859-2 font on your DOS system...

>From what I can see, most of the authors of these small and minority
interest utils tend to write what they need and I'd agree that does
result in a certain parochialism unless they happen to have
correspondents in non-english locations. How many ever get asked about
other's needs, I wonder ?

The current Browse has an attempt at handling 8859-1/Win1252 so the
principal of character translation is in (quite good if the default page
is 850, not so hot if it's 437, probably rubbish with any other). Of
course, mere translation is a far cry from loading a new font. To be
honest, the only driving force for this sort of thing in the UK is the
need for the UKP currency symbol, although in time the EURO may be
another.
The real problem is the small number of program options - if more utils
were developed in non-english areas of the world it would help, or if a
greater sense on internationalism prevailed, but the juggernaut that is
english increasingly sweeps all before it.

Alex.
--
  (  Alex Venn                    )  (  Success has many fathers,  )