Hi Bastiaan!

27 Dec 2002, "Bastiaan Edelman, PA3FFZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 BF> We had a discussion on the List, some time ago, and if I recall
 BF> correctly JAVA is totaly different to java-script.
yes

 BF> Yes, it was mentioned that JAVA is running in every operating
 BF> system...
No ...
Java runs on every OS where a JAVA virtual machine program can run.
Java can be seen as "assembly of a virtual processor", and this virtual
processor is emulated by the JVM.
So JVM takes a java binary, and "converts" it to the local machines
instructions.

 BF> is it an operating system itself?
no.
There are some CPUs, which have Java as their native instruction set.
Eg no x64 instructions but native java instructions.
And the OS for these CPUs is written in java, as everything they are able to
run.

But Java is no OS. Java is a language.

It is lie saying C is a OS, because Linux is written in C :)

And BTW:
there are 2 totally different JAVA possibilities.

1) applets ... run in the browser (or appletviewer), and are part of a webpage
2) applications ... there are complete office applications and browsers.
These do not need any browser to run, but naturally they need a JVM.

 BF> CU, Bastiaan

CU, Ricsi